January 19, 2011

Mid-Afternoon Snack Attack!

Some time between two and four in the afternoon I get a craving for something sweet. It wouldn't be a big deal except that after the birth of the twins I have been adapting to pre-diabities symptoms and thus have taken refined sugar out of my diet. The cravings, however, are strong. They demand attention and usually I give in and then feel bad about it. But not anymore! I have found a little nugget of delicious and healthy proportions that satisfies that craving and still keeps me in the right zone regarding my insulin. I wanted to share this yummy little treat with you. They are called whatever you like to call them...we call them extra energy orbs.

I found the recipe to make them here and have been making them ever since. (The recipe is on page 14 of the PDF document) They are wonderful! If I am making them just prior to my monthly flow I add about 1/3 cup of flax flour and they really help alleviate my PMS symptoms. They contian 1/4 cup of cocoa which I have been reading lately is very good for you. The cocoa is a wonderfully beneficial when consumed without white processed sugar. I also indulge on cold days with this recipe for hot chocolate using date syrup instead of sugar.

In a sauce pan add:
2 cups of whole milk
1/4 tsp of salt
3T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup of date syrup or however much you like.

Try adding vanilla, mint or cinnamon flavorings for fun!

Heat until the cocoa is fully incorporated and pour steaming into your favorite mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment