May 30, 2010

A Girl With A Treasure


We have been reading through this book this year.
Yesterday we read about Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1878) She was the daughter of a minister and one of those gifted with the talent for music. From an early age she could sing like a beautiful song bird. When Frances was seven she began to write songs and she studied the Piano.
More than her musical gifts Frances was captivating and delightful. People loved to be around her. She had a special enchantment about her everyone found irresistible. Can you imagine what it was? She wrote her secret down in her journal…..
She prayed for everyone around her.
It was not an out-loud prayer, and the people she prayed for never even knew she was asking God to bless them. Thy just felt it. As she played with her friends or talked to adults, she was secretly asking God to work in their lives and give them special thoughts.
One day Frances went for a five-day trip to a house where there were ten unhappy and grumpy people. She decided to spend her days there asking God to do something special for each person. Then she watched and waited to see what God would do. In her journal she wrote; “God gave me a special prayer to pray, it was that he would give me all in this household.” And he did, before she left the house everyone in it had a blessing from God. She was so Happy that night before she left that she could not sleep…the words of this song came into her head.

Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to thee, Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise, let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of thy love. Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for thee, swift and beautiful for thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing, always only for my king. Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from thee, filled with messages from thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold. Take my intellect my heart, it is thine own; it shall be thy royal throne, it shall be thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour at thy feet its treasure-store. Take my self, and I will be ever, onl,y all for thee, ever only all for thee.

Imagine how our households can be effected as we pray for those around us!
Imagine how cool it would be to have sleepless nights because we were so happy we had to stay up praising God and making up hymns in our heads!
Imagine and begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment